If you like buying in bulk, you’re probably obsessed with Costco. This membership wholesale club has over 105 million paying members and has been steadily growing each year. Life is expensive and Costco members join in order to save on food, household products and more. In addition to everyday essentials that you need to stock up on, Costco sells appliances, furniture, computers, jewelry, outdoor living items, tires, gasoline, installation services, insurance and more. Members also get discounts on gas.
In terms of cost, the fee to join is $60 a year for a Gold Star membership or $120 a year for an Executive membership. Membership guarantees you access to wholesale bulk pricing for all food, merchandise and services, which can be pretty exciting given that certain grocery items have an almost cult-like following. Costco offers members year-round deals as well as special sales events like Black Friday.
When it comes to steep savings, skeptics might wonder if the quality is up to snuff. What kind of lifespan and durability can be expected? Especially when purchasing large ticket items like computers, electronics or appliances, you’ll want to be sure that their items will last. That’s why Costco offers warranties as well as extended warranties for their bigger-ticket items. Warranties guarantee that Costco will repair or replace items should they malfunction. We will break down exactly how Costco warranties work and how to buy extended warranties as well as (extra extended warranties) for Costco Citi card holders.
How Do You Get Costco’s Warranty?
The great news is there is a built-in extended warranty for most electronic and appliance purchases for all Costco members, for up to two years from the date of purchase, regardless of your membership level.
That means all you have to do is join Costco and become a member.
- Executive Membership – $120/per year
- Business Membership – $60/per year
- Gold Star Membership – $60/per year
How Do You Use Costco’s Warranty?
Members can utilize Concierge Services (which is a free technical support center available to anyonewho has purchased electronics and appliances).
- Call 1-866-861-0450 to use Concierge Services, and don’t forget to have your receipt and product model information handy.
- Costco suggests going over this checklist when you call: your name, your Costco membership number, Costco item number (which you can find on your receipt), item description and model number, serial number and purchase date.
What is Included With Costco’s Warranty?
While there are ways to add extra extended warranties, members automatically get the following:
- 90 days for return.
- Concierge services will help manage your appliance/electronic purchases.
Concierge service includes the following benefits:
- Free technical support: Call to ask questions for setting up and using your electronic or appliance. Get useful troubleshooting hints if you run into issues when using. The good news is your technical support will last the lifetime of your product transcending the warranty coverage.
- Free extended second year of warranty: Costco’s two years of warranty coverage means you’re covered one year past the manufacturer’s warranty for televisions, projectors, computers, water heaters and major appliances (including refrigerators above 10 cubic feet, freezers, ranges, cooktops, over-the-range microwaves, dishwashers, washers and dryers).
- Repair or Replace: Your service agent will offer multiple options, starting first with troubleshooting. Depending on what the issue is, they may also offer a free repair, or if that isn’t possible, they will replace the item with a brand new one.
Are There Any Exclusions to Costco’s Warranty?
Yes, you can expect exclusions. Be sure to double check your item’s coverage. Some exceptions to be aware of:.
- Warranty will not cover data backup and software replacement on computers
- Warranty will not cover physical damage or liquid damage
- Touchscreen tablets are not covered by extended warranty. You can however purchase insurance to protect tablets
- Costco’s added extra year will only match the manufacturer’s original warranty terms
- File a warranty card with the manufacturer immediately after your purchase
- Read through the manufacturer warranty for the item you purchased
- Check what is covered and not covered under the original warranty. Exclusions might vary depending on the specific item purchased
Does Costco Offer An Extended Warranty?
Yes. While you will automatically get two years of coverage for most electronic and appliance purchases, there are ways to extend your warranty coverage past the initial two years. But, you will either need to pay extra, or use a Costco Citi credit card.
Purchase Allstate Protection Plan: You can choose to purchase insurance for each item individually. Rates vary according to type and overall value of product. More expensive items will cost more to protect.
For example, for $34.99, you can add an extra three years of protection for a television that is valued under $500.
Use your Costco Citi credit card to make your purchase: Using this credit card will extend the warranty by two years.
What Does the Costco Extended Warranty Cover?
If you choose to purchase an extra three years of coverage from Allstate, you will need to purchase this insurance within 90 days of the original purchase. The extra three years means your item will be covered for a total of five years. Since you will be purchasing insurance specific to each item, be sure to read what is covered.
For example, the television that we mentioned above would be covered for the following:
- Remote failure
- Screen failure
- Power supply burnout
- Speaker/sound failure
- Inability to power on
- Broken buttons
Allstate insurance protection advertises their claims are easy to process, and can be filed 24/7 online. Allstate insurance will pay for 100% of parts & labor with no deductibles or hidden fees. They will send someone for on-site service or replace your item if necessary with a brand new replacement. Read exactly what your coverage entails, but typically there will be exclusions for physical damage, intentional damage, loss or theft.
Are There Any Extra Warranty Benefits for Costco Citi Credit Card Holders?
Yes. If you purchase your electronic or appliance using your Costco Citi card they will typically extend the coverage for an additional two years. This works for the following cards:
- Costco Anywhere Visa Card
- Costco Anywhere Visa Business Card
- Costco credit card reward certificate
Added on protection: The extra two years begin when your warranty or extended warranty ends, but must not exceed seven years from the purchase date.
Maximum protection: Citi will cover up to $10,000 per item
What Is the Longest Extended Warranty Protection for My Purchase?
Seven years. In order to get seven years of protection you must be certain your purchase is covered by the manufacturer warranty as well as Costco’s Concierge protection. The next three years will be covered by purchasing extended warranty coverage from Allstate, and finally you can top off coverage for the final two years, for a grand total of seven years if you make your purchase with your qualifying Costco Citi credit card.
Be sure to follow all of these steps for seven years of protection:
- Purchase using Costco Citi Credit Card
- Confirm that that item is covered by Costco Concierge
- Buy an extended warranty from Allstate for the item within 90 days of initial purchase
The post Costco Extended Warranty: Literally Everything You Need to Know appeared first on The Real Deal by RetailMeNot.